Get Your Plate in Shape!
March is National Nutrition Month which is big news in the world of nutrition! It’s time to “Get Your Plate in Shape!” How can you do this? It’s very simple. Base your meals, including breakfast, around fruits and vegetables, and include a lean protein item or a protein substitute such as beans as well as a serving of whole grains. Round out your meal with a low-fat dairy choice such as 1% low fat milk and drink plenty of water.
Celebrate your health by filling your cart with nutritious, vibrant foods that will leave you feeling great!
Here are some quick tips for Smart Shopping:
- Fill your cart with colorful foods: The various colors in food represent a variety of nutrients.
- Avoid browsing: This can cause temptation and lead to unnecessary purchases.
- Make a shopping list: Prepare a list ahead of time & stick to it to save time & buy only what’s needed.
- Don’t shop hungry: A hungry stomach will increase chances of buying higher-fat, higher-calorie foods.
- Don’t believe the front of the package: Read ingredients & labels to determine how healthful a food really is.
- Beware of checkout lines: surrounded by high fat, sugar, & salty snacks, avoid making last minute purchases of these items.
Cook more often at home to control what goes in your food!